Making a connection with customers and placing your business as a resource for them is an important technique to gain new customers and grow your business. Here are three tips to connect with people and turn them into repeat customers.
The first thing you’re selling is yourself
People buy from people they like and trust. Here are some tips to help sell yourself as a reliable business partner.
- Present yourself well.
- Make sure you’re someone YOU would want to buy from.
- Bring something to leave behind, like your business card or a flyer for a seasonal special you’re running.
- Know the products and services you’re selling and why you’re the best person for the job.
- Give great customer service.
Listen more than you talk
Listen to what your customer or prospective customer is saying. Pay attention to their needs so you can make recommendations. You can’t help them if you don’t know what they need. To understand what they need, listen and ask appropriate questions so you can learn how you can help them with their needs and wants.
Keep it simple
Think about the person you’re selling to; this is key to a successful sale. Consider their needs, motivations and the other things you learned in your conversations with them. They are the most important part of the sale, and they are what will make it successful.
- If they want to spend more time in their backyard but it gets dark too early, show them examples of lighting installations you’ve done in the past.
- If they have an invasion of pesky weeds that just won’t go away no matter how many hours they spend pulling them, tell them what you can do to help.
- If they’re tired of spending every Saturday morning hand-watering their lawn, suggest an irrigation system installation with a smart controller they can control from their phone.
If a person likes you, they will listen to you. If they trust you, they will want to do business with you. That’s where you will find new customers and develop profitable business relationships. Share your tips for earning new business in the comments below!